Quote:

“A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual death.”--Martin Luther King

Friday, June 13, 2014

RBP World Cup Occasional Blog #2

Okay, I've seen what I wanted to see today.  A massacre.

I wanted to see a perfectly-struck header by Holland's Robbie van Persie planted in the back of the goal at 44' like a bullet to the heart of Pim Fortuyn.

I wanted to see Kiko Alonso's cousin Xabi Alonso score a goal for Espana at 22'.

Viva! Viva!

And now Holland leads 5-1. How did Spain get into this tourney anyway?

This game has the distinction of having some of the most diverse goals I've ever seen. Robbie van Persie's flying long-range header/masterpiece, and a left-footer from six inches by Stefan de Vrij, and then van Persie again, beating the goalie in a ball skirmish in front of the box.

Holland ball hog Arjen Robben refused to pass to an open teammate in front of the goal, greedily took the shot himself and scored.

My, my, such goalie abuse ought to be illegal, though the poor Spaniard just made two great saves at 86'.

What a massacre!  Espana quit!

Earlier today, Mexico clobbered Cameroon  1-0.  Unfortunately, I missed it as I was picking dust mites off my body all morning and couldn't find a comfortable position at my desk.  But here I am, recovered from the ordeal, watching futbol.

We're in stoppage time.

The Orange were relentless today.  Was this one of the biggest slaughters in WC history, or what?

I watched the Dutch broadcast.  Didn't understand a word.

The RBP World Cup Occasional Blog is out of here for now.  See you next time, live from my mite box in Portland, Oregon.


TS

No comments:

Post a Comment