Quote:

“A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual death.”--Martin Luther King

Monday, September 27, 2010

Round Bend Hour #2

I feel my Internet radio show took a quantum leap for the better Sunday, though I may be dreaming. Like my Oregon Ducks, I know there is room for improvement. I played it relatively cool and straight, mixing some blues with jazz and even a few rock 'n' roll grooves (like that word?).

Okay, so I'm decidedly unhip. But I played what I wanted to play, including a Smithsonian Folkways Classic blues collection, a touch of Frishberg and Miles, a few others. I had more than enough music in my bag (I'm sorry, I'm starting to sound like a sixties-era DJ) to cover my two hours. I was digging (jeez, what has gotten into me?) my playlist so hard that I didn't switch up as often as I initially planned. I played fifties-era Miles. His genius phase without a doubt.

I liked the sound of the show. I like what I did, despite a few word jumbles, mumbles and bumbles. I hope the mic situation is getting better. I'm gonna find the right radio voice for me real soon, you listen.

When I was in high school thinking about my future I once had a Career Academy rep visit my home to discuss the academy's broadcasting department. It was too expensive, of course, and I don't know how reputable the organization was at the time, and I didn't opt for that in the end. Probably a good thing, though any broadcast training would be better than nothing. Sort of like any technical schooling, you have to start with the basics.

I guess it boils down to this. If you want to be a philosopher go to Stanford and read the classics. If you want to be a broadcaster get behind the mic and start talking.

So, I now have two shows archived at House of Sound.

I'm planning a show dedicated to the late Roger Blakely. I have to dig up some cello music and some of his other favorites for that. Sometime in Oct., just not sure which date yet.

Cool!


TS

No comments:

Post a Comment