Quote:

“A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual death.”--Martin Luther King

Saturday, September 18, 2010

The Program

From time to time I've written little bio sketches here of various poets I admire. I'm playing with the idea of reading some of those, perhaps one per show, when I want to change the mood on Round Bend Hour.

For example, one of my favorite mid-twentieth century American poets is Weldon Kees. I have a little sketch/story about Kees, which I published here a couple of months ago. I think I'll read a shortened version of that and one of his poems Sunday.

When I get into the interview and guest segments I have planned for following weeks, I'll have my guests read a favorite poem--theirs, or another favorite, or both. This is stuff you have to play by ear. I'm comfortable with picking music genres and the overall direction/theme of the show, but I want to leave room for spontaneous outbursts as well.

We'll see how it goes and how my comfort level develops.

My wireless is bad today. I quit.

On tap: Washington and Nebraska. My first look at Jake Locker this year, whom pro scouts like a lot. I'm not as sold. But then nobody is buying my opinions these days anyway. Same deal with Terrelle Pryor. Both of them are overrated. Great runners, flawed passers.



TS

No comments:

Post a Comment