Quote:

“A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual death.”--Martin Luther King

Thursday, February 11, 2016

News of the Day

Good news today on a couple of fronts beyond the relief I and most other Oregonians feel about the Harney County bandits finally being hauled away from the national wildlife refuge outside Burns.

No shots fired, thank you.

It was a nutty, nasty six weeks.  A few more weeks of forensics and cleanup at the scene and we'll be over it, hopefully.

I've been informed that I'll have another piece at CounterPunch tomorrow, a short essay I published here first and revised somewhat before submitting. Unless it gets bumped for space or the sudden appearance of a Pulitzer-worthy piece instead, it'll appear in the Weekend Edition in the morning. Love the publication, and really pleased the editors respond to my work.

CP comes online in the wee hours, so set your alarm clocks, heh.

The other good news:  The Oregon Ducks (MBB) go for their seventh straight win tonight at Cal, where the Golden Bears seldom lose.  Cal has some super young talent, so it'll be a real test.  Hope my Duckies can pull off the mild upset and enhance their lead in the PAC.

The game is on ESPN2 at 6 p.m.

I am, of course, streaming it at a pirated site that isn't always reliable, but I have my radio on standby.

Another note, just as an aside.  I've been reading "Underworld" by Don DeLillo for the first time since its publication 19 years ago.   Man, why does anyone even attempt to write the Great American Novel any more?   DeLillo clinched the deal in 1997.  Just amazing.

Of course people said the same thing about Dos Passos back in the day...

TS

No comments:

Post a Comment