Quote:

“A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual death.”--Martin Luther King

Thursday, February 18, 2016

Found Poems/Mystery


I must have copied these two poems to my Notepad without attribution.  I wonder who wrote them. Seriously, the first one sounds like something I could have written, but if I did I don't recall doing so. Not a good sign, but also indicative of the poem's theme. The second one is an even larger mystery.  It doesn't sound like me, and it is the better poem, albeit perhaps unfinished.  Neither was titled. Anyone out there recognize them? Hmm...


I walk now because I see how life is.
One day the walking will end and I will
know with certainty that I have lived unconsciously.
My existence hurried past me like these people,
sitting, eating, walking like myself.
It is too easy to ignore the world.

               ***

What if you
woke up one morning
and realized you
were unconscionably wealthy?

All the advantages
were yours, a warm bed,
a roof over your head,
your hand in everything.

Waiting for you;
a trust and a free education
bought and paid for by
a grandfather of means.

You learn over time
your family was comprised
of industrialists and
political players from ago.

It had seized the land
from the indigenous people
and erected woolen mills
enough to clothe England.


TS

No comments:

Post a Comment