Quote:

“A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual death.”--Martin Luther King

Saturday, November 12, 2016

It's Hard, Man

What is the difference between academic and literary writing? If this sounds like a joke, the punch lines are many. Style. Voice. Jargon. Signposts (“The aim of this chapter is …”). In fact, jargon so litters academic writing that signposts are indispensable to reader comprehension.--AS

When I can't make good sentences or sort out my thoughts, which happens frequently, I just put the bullshit out there and hope for the best.

I spent far too many years trying to be a writer's writer, and I walked away disillusioned; when I returned I came back scribbling.  It is all I can do, so I live with my poor qualities in the fashion of a man who lives with a shrew and can't escape, because against all good logic he loves misery.


TS

No comments:

Post a Comment