Quote:

“A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual death.”--Martin Luther King

Thursday, October 24, 2013

Shaw


A post I made here three summers ago is number seven in the Google search engine for "The Eighty-Yard Run," a famous short story by one of the American masters of the form, Irwin Shaw, sometime's referred to pejoratively as the "poor man's John Cheever."

I happen to think he's better than Cheever, but that's just poor me.

Naturally, my post is getting a lot of hits as people discover or attempt to rethink this classic story about an ex-football player suffering a mid-life crisis.

Here's the complete story.

I think Colt Lyerla or just about any other college football player these days would do well to read it.


TS  

No comments:

Post a Comment