Quote:

“A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual death.”--Martin Luther King

Saturday, October 26, 2013

Drum Rolls

It's nothing like the energy you'll find on campus at a major football university each week on game day, but I have to give Portland State an A for effort.

The Vikings play North Dakota this afternoon, and the school band is ambling past my place, drums rolling, headed for Jeld-Wen Field where it'll set up to entertain the five-thousand faithful who stream into the stadium for the game.

It's great to hear.  I remember incredible days in Eugene long ago, even though Oregon usually had a pretty bad team back in the '70s. Game day was always special for those of us who could pull ourselves away from the textbooks long enough to enjoy the festivities.

That was never a problem for me, as football Saturdays in October were a big part of college life in my estimation.  I loved those days and look back at them with fondness.

At least that aspect of my life didn't drift past unnoticed, which is something I cannot say about much else.


TS

No comments:

Post a Comment