Quote:

“A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual death.”--Martin Luther King

Sunday, October 27, 2013

Lou Reed

I liked much of Lou Reed and owned New York (1989), which I consider to be his finest work. I was never enamored by his "noise" experiments, but he could write a good melody and intersperse that with some abstraction to interesting effect at times.

Went to his concert at the Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall in Portland about 15 years ago. Paid fifty bucks for front-row seats with a few friends.

I enjoyed the show, comprised of a lot of new material and improvised jamming. Some of my friends wanted to hear Sweet Jane and were disappointed he didn't play that and other popular material.


TS

No comments:

Post a Comment