Quote:

“A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual death.”--Martin Luther King

Thursday, May 17, 2012

Movie Night



My treat to myself tonight--Woodstock.

"Three days of peace and music, the director's cut."

I found this 40th anniversary edition at the library.  Not sure whether I've seen the director's cut or not.  I'll give it a try.

I first watched this with friends in Salem in 1970, the summer after our first year in college in Ashland, Oregon.

We'd smoked enough weed to knock down a horse before walking into the downtown Salem movie house.

Truth be told, I didn't like some of the music in this movie at the time it was produced.

Canned Heat was an awful band and I thought they sucked in the movie.  I was never a big Sly Stone fan, either.  Sha Na Na was a novelty act in an era when I hated novelty acts.

I still hate novelty acts.

Now that I've reminded myself of all this I wonder why I checked it out of the library?

Oh yes, wait!  It has Joe Cocker at his finest.  Country Joe McDonald. Hendrix.  The Who.

More importantly, it features Stephen Stills introducing CS&N by confessing, "we're scared shitless."

Best act for my money?  Richie Havens.

And then there is the search for Alan Fay, and warnings about the bad acid circulating amid the crowd.

Great fun.  This all happened yesterday, didn't it?


TS

No comments:

Post a Comment