Quote:

“A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual death.”--Martin Luther King

Friday, May 4, 2012

The Laundry Quandary

I share a five-washer laundry facility with approximately 90 other souls in a large apartment complex in Portland.

In the months I've lived here I've tried various methods in an effort to maintain a cleanly appearance and do the right thing, that is wear clean clothing as often as possible.

I've done it all in an unending quest to find the best time to wash my clothing.  I've set my alarm for 5 a.m. and gone to the basement only to find three others with the same idea waiting ahead of me.

I've tried the midnight madness of laundry facilitation and become an unwilling participant in a convention of disgruntled, bleary-eyed would-be clothes launderers.

I've given up and waited a day, two, three, not the best way to impress the ladies.

Life can be miserable in the context of laundry.  Think about it.  Unless you have your own washer and dryer conveniently located just off the pantry in your ultra-modern, sensible home, life is wretched.

Tonight I may have hit on something by varying my routine.  I spurned my usual night at the Five-Star Restaurant, where I typically spend my Friday evenings before my driver drops me off at the symphony.

I decided to stay in.

Bored in these highly unusual circumstances, I gave it a try.

I may have found the solution to my laundry quandary.  Friday nights around here are dead.

Now I'll put on some classical music, heat up a T.V. dinner and count myself lucky.


TS


No comments:

Post a Comment