Quote:

“A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual death.”--Martin Luther King

Friday, October 3, 2014

New Cycle of Ugliness Coming


You knew they would, but man the boo birds are coming hard after Oregon today.  A loss to Arizona will cause that.

Nobody--players, coaches, administrators, the ball boys--is exempt.

This is something I've never understood while being a long-time college football watcher in general and an Oregon fan specifically.

I started watching the Oregon program when I enrolled there in 1971. I've never missed a season, win or lose; the reason being I simply enjoy the game and the excitement of college ball. And believe me, in the old days there was plenty to get frustrated by as well as to celebrate.  One thing I made sure of through the morass over the years is that I had fun watching the game.

Being a fan can be frustrating, but wrapping your entire identity around the game and your school's football program is dumb.  Oregon lost the game last night.

The fans are making themselves miserable by giving the entire enterprise too much importance, treating it like life and death.

Oregon's program has obviously fallen off, another cycle has begun. What more can you say?

Oregon's recent success has bred a lot of unreasonable behavior among the team's faithful.  Now everybody is a coach, and miraculously, a program director.  The arrogance of the many has recalibrated--bounced the needle from "we're great" to a  "we're-too-good-to-stand-for-this" fantasia.

The fire-the-staff movement is on, something I won't participate in because, frankly, I don't think any of this is important in the midst of what ought to be an entertainment.  My goal now is to block out the noise.

That's becoming very difficult to do.

Unacknowledged this morning is a point of realism that the faux-coaches in Oregon's fan base simply are unwilling to embrace.

Arizona has a better team.  Better players.  Better coaches.  Like many, I mourn the fall, but it was as inevitable as the Oregon rain.

The cycle of the seasons.

Things are about to get as ugly as a muddy snowbank in the winter. Queue the Vivaldi.

Sigh...


TS

No comments:

Post a Comment