Quote:

“A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual death.”--Martin Luther King

Tuesday, October 28, 2014

How I Get My Baseball Fix

Man, I have a hard time sitting through a whole baseball game these days. Once upon a time I watched every pitch of the World Series with the passion of a real fan.

Can't do that anymore.  I've changed, the game hasn't (well, the players have.  I don't know many of them these days, either).

I have a new method now.  It's worked fine during this year's WS, which resumes about an hour from now in K.C.  I put the game up on my computer and listen to it while I surf the net for more interesting things to read and watch.

I might watch a segment of a documentary, or study a clip of something, or read a magazine article online.

Then I peek in occasionally, usually when I hear something happening that is "must see."  If the game is tight in the final innings, I bring it up and watch.

In this manner I saw Madison Bumgarner finish his four-hit gem Sunday evening.  I'm not able to say I saw his mastery throughout the game, but it's evident he had it--what I saw was good enough for my present tastes.

It's all I need, and it has the advantage of offering an opportunity to get something else done with the evening--though at this point I don't have a clue what it is I should get done tonight.

Well, I do...laundry.  But I'd rather stink at this time than think about it.  My laundry energy is low tonight, I do believe.

All I know is I won't focus all of my attention on the game because I can't.

Later:  On the other hand there is something riveting about watching a mauling.  It's like watching a traffic accident, or watching oneself screw up time and again.


TS

No comments:

Post a Comment