Quote:

“A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual death.”--Martin Luther King

Friday, October 31, 2014

How Does it Feel...

If you know me, you know I'm a college football junkie.  If you know this you also likely know that the college game upsets me.

I mention as much here on occasion.

You shouldn't care about that, of course, and I hope you don't.  It's my problem after all, one I created for myself when I fell in love with the game as a youngster.

I never grew out of college football like I did, say, baseball or my eighth-grade blue jeans.

I like to watch college football.  Years ago, I loved playing it during a single season in Ashland, Oregon.

These days a lot of crap surrounds the college game, most of it generated by the big money that has taken over the collegiality of the game.

For me, the aesthetics of the game are being pushed aside by the cash flow coming down from the mountain top--which here is a metaphor for television.

Here's an article from Rolling Stone published a few days ago that succinctly sums up today's game and the problems generated by the enormous amount of money now attached to it.

Worth a read, I say. You might like it because the author's first and last premise is the same; that football doesn't mean shit, but that the corruption now surrounding the game means everything.


TS

No comments:

Post a Comment