Quote:

“A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual death.”--Martin Luther King

Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Many Moons Ago


Where were you the last time Washington beat Oregon in a football game?  The year was 2003, in case you're interested.

I was working as a fill-in night appetizer chef at the Saucebox, a bullshit hipster joint on Broadway in downtown Portland.  I think it may still be there, filled with a Mason Jar quantity of idiots night after night.

The  scenesters were too hip to have a telly in the joint as they enjoyed their cocktails and boring conversations, so I had to hand my duties off to the other fill-in night chef and traipse across the street to a combo pizza hall and  pool joint that had a couple of TVs blasting.

The game was in Seattle, and Washington tormented Kellen Clemens no end, beat the Ducks 42-10, I think.

It was a major disappointment, alleviated by my obligation to head back to the cafe and relieve my co-worker, who went off silently into the night.

I cleaned everything up and got out of there myself a couple of hours later.

And that was the last time UW beat the Ducks.

What will happen this Saturday?  Only thing I know is I won't be serving a lot of crap appetizers to the rich asshole children of Portland's aristocracy, thank me stars.


TS

No comments:

Post a Comment