Quote:

“A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual death.”--Martin Luther King

Sunday, July 20, 2014

The Kiss I Never Desired










The Yahoo onslaught otherwise known as its Kiss promotion is getting on my nerves.

I'm getting several emails a day about a concert I'm supposed to watch. Saturated by pleading to watch the show of a lifetime, regular condolences for having missed this big event. First I was to watch it live!  Then I had an opportunity to atone for missing it!  Why did I miss it?!  What is wrong with me?! Etc.

What crap!

I never deliberately listened to Kiss, and I probably couldn't name one of their tunes if you played it for me.

I've heard of one of the bandmates, but I likely couldn't pick him out of a lineup of other prefab rock stars of their genre and time.

I did, however, once meet one of the band's original dressers. Dixie was the sister of my friend Joe and she came out to Portland from New York once to visit him. I ended up drinking all night with her and my buddy at Seafood Mama's in the old neighborhood. Turns out she had a lot to do with the makeup thing Kiss is famous for.  I'm thinking she may have been a designer of "the look" in part.

Hey, it was show biz. Nothing more, and Dixie was paid very well. She'd also embraced the lifestyle and would later go into rehab before leaving the industry.

Dixie had previously been Anthony Quinn's dresser. She said he was, unsurprisingly, a prick.

Joe's brother was also in the music business, having been the road manager of Foreigner when they were big.

I never listened to them, either.


TS

No comments:

Post a Comment