Quote:

“A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual death.”--Martin Luther King

Monday, July 28, 2014

Menu Fixed

I'm making potato salad for the first time in years.

I made too much of it when I was in the back-of-the-house during my failed career in the restaurant trade.

(I could give you the names of three joints where my salads and prime rib rocked the world before the vicissitudes of ownership fucked up my reality.)

That's right folks, food is political and I ain't Anthony Bourdain.

I have a secret garlic and herb blend that will spank it up, celery, black olives, onion.  Some folks prefer their pot salad on the dry side; I tend to load it with the mayo because I'm from white trash roots and that's the way things are.  I peeled the pots this time. Russets. I usually leave the skins on, but not sure how that would fly.

I debated red or white pots.

Got my eggs boiled.  Dill relish.

Old school, baby.

Keepin' a little aside for the five year-old.  When I was his age I hated onion.  I'll bet he does, too.

Got corn on the cob. Real sweet butter.

Got penne and vodka sauce fixings.  Salad ingredients.  Chicken thighs for a fake (stove top) barbecue using a nice hickory sauce.

Melon.

Will get cake, ice-cream and fresh bread when needed.

Buddy Dooley's Insane Kitchen, prepping in advance for full-flavor, left-over taste.  Oh yeah...


TS 

No comments:

Post a Comment