Quote:

“A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual death.”--Martin Luther King

Saturday, July 5, 2014

RBP World Cup Occasional Blog #9

Today was a perfect day for futbol.

I had to scarcely awaken to notice Argentina scrub Belgium clean like someone scouring a long-neglected bathroom.

I tuned in late, as usual, because I had to go to the grocery store (twice) and then confront the dilemma of my bathroom, which I did nothing about in the end except promise myself I'd get to it before my daughter and her family arrive from Minnesota for a vacation in a couple of weeks.

I haven't seen the family since too long ago, and I'm very anxious and excited, knowing I must wait to clean the facilities until just the right pre-moment, else I'll have too much time to sully the environment once more and cause my energy to be misspent.

And...and...where was I?

Oh yes, Argentina vs. Belgium.  When I finally tuned in this match was over.  Except it was not.  What I saw was typical for me--the last few moments.  And of course I was not disappointed, because in that short time Belgium was pushing hard to score and the Argentinians were holding on for their lives.

I would not have been disappointed if Belgium had put one in the net at that stage, which would have given even greater impetus to my viewing method, but in the end it didn't happen.  And for that I was grateful because I thought I was going to switch to a little baseball about then...

But guess what happened?  The Mariners were blacked out at MLB.com because they are in the Portland viewing market and Root has their exclusive broadcast rights whenever ESPN and FOX do not.

Which is bogus because the Mariners are not my team.  The Beavers were!

(The Mariners beat the ChiSox 3-2 behind the new goatee of King Felix.)

So I wandered back into the bathroom and thought about it some more, eventually deciding that I do indeed have a major task at hand.

I must look at my calendar and plan for this excursion into the unknown.

I fiddled around, doing other stuff, nothing major, killing my time and all of the regular time plus an extra 30 min. in the Netherlands vs. Costa Rica match.

Tuned in for the penalty kick phase of the game, which is most like the Kansas OT Plan in college football, I watched the very cocky sub-goalie of Netherlands trash-talking and taunting the Ricans time and again, before disappointingly blocking two penalty kicks in such fashion that his head swelled to a nearly bursting cloud of self-aggrandizement.

And I thought American football players were oft-times unsportsmanlike turds.

Well, what can you do?

I've noticed that Germany is now the favorite over Brazil to win it all, which sounds about right to the Round Bend Press World Cup Occasional Blog.

Without Neymar Brazil will likely take a step back.

I should quit here while somewhat ahead and go reappraise the bathroom situation.


TS

No comments:

Post a Comment