Quote:

“A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual death.”--Martin Luther King

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Practicing Reality

I'm set to make a trial video interview this afternoon. I've found a willing victim who will allow me an opportunity to learn as I go, work out some craft bugs, and familiarize myself with the beast.

I made a trial video last night, set the camera on a tripod, used the white balance feature to acclimate to the lighting in my apartment. Did my best acting job. Not bad technically, a set scene of me scrounging around my kitchen looking for something to eat.

In fact, it achieved a kind of poetic quality, a two-minute take of existential angst.

I will not show this video, because I am apparently quite overweight, spend too much time at the refrigerator in reality, and look older than my age. The camera revealed this, setting a new standard for clarity and truth in pictures.

I reaffirmed the long-held judgment that I am a method actor, that is I am acutely aware that for me the transference of what I know--the very essence of my soul--to the screen may only be done by an assertion of my will.

In other words, this camera works wonders.

I'll never be in another video because of this recognition, so I would like to thank the Canon Corp. for assisting me with my revelation.

But this isn't about me. It's about making quality pictures of others who, like my friend later today, may allow me the indulgence of my vision/quest.

To become Werner Herzog.

Or somebody like him.


TS

No comments:

Post a Comment