Quote:

“A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual death.”--Martin Luther King

Saturday, March 3, 2012

Eating and Remembering

I made a special trip to my favorite restaurant/bar on the Portland State campus this morning for a simple breakfast called "The Best Deal in Town." Two eggs to your style, a large pile of delicious hash browns, and a choice of toast for $1.99.

Best deal, indeed.

I rarely eat breakfast out, but decided to treat myself this morning. I normally have a bowl of cereal or cook my own version of the "Best Deal" at home, but my version never tastes as good as the fare at the Cheerful Tortoise on 6th Avenue.

It's a quasi-sports bar with a cool staff of young people who seem downright friendly.

The Memphis v. Tulsa basketball game was on one of the big screens, so I watched a little of that as I ate, priming myself for March Madness, which is mere days away.

On a sadder front, I received two copies of my book Cello Music & Other Poems in the mail yesterday. I'm to sign and return them to another friend of Roger Blakely III.

Roger died nearly two years ago (March 22, 2010) in a bizarre accident on I-5 south of Portland, and I dedicated the book to Roger's memory.

The friend will send a copy to Roger's mother in southern California as we prepare to remember again what a great son and friend Roger was .


TS

No comments:

Post a Comment