Quote:

“A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual death.”--Martin Luther King

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Marketing and How it Works

I went out yesterday in the afternoon to deliver a copy of my memoir to the DP on the new RBP video project that is currently in pre-production.

Multi-tasking, I sat down at my favorite lunch spot, a sports bar on West Burnside, and decided on a bite to eat.

I placed the book on the bar and ordered a burger and a beer. The plan called for me to pass the book to my DP as he drove past the establishment on the way to his workplace in Beaverton, a Portland suburb. (Good plan, too; he caught a red light in front of the place and I passed the book to him through the passenger-side window--mission accomplished.)

But before that happened, my server, a nice lady named Elaine, took my order and placed it with the kitchen. She brought my beer, set it down, and noticed the book.

"Did you write that?" she asked, seeing my name on the cover of A Marvelous Paranoia.

I nodded, and it started. "I didn't know you were a writer!" she exclaimed, truly surprised and excited to learn as much about one of her best regulars.

(I'd told Elaine before that I am a writer/editor, but everybody says that, right?)

"Oh yes," I began, hoping to make her laugh, because Elaine has a great, happy spirit filled with laughter. "You read the New York Times Best  Seller's list, don't you? I'm always at the top."

"Where's the paparazzi?" Elaine shot back.

"Outside, waiting," I said.

Elaine picked up the book, holding it in a manner that told me she reveres books and reading. She read the back cover blurb. Her eyes glistened with pleasant recognition.

She glanced around. There was time to peruse the inside for a moment. Her smile and pleasure while reading deepened.

I was thinking, jeez, if her boss Gus catches her she'll get in trouble. She read a little, turned the pages to another section and read a little more.

"Can you buy this in the bookstore?" she asked.

"Amazon."

"Really?"

"Yes, Elaine."

Then she guessed the price on the nose--fifteen dollars.

"Plus shipping," I said.

"Well," she said, placing the book down. "I'll buy one tonight."

Off Elaine went to help another customer.

And that is how the RBP marketing plan went yesterday, moments before I passed the book through the window to Terence, my video DP.

Every day should be so good.


TS

No comments:

Post a Comment