Quote:

“A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual death.”--Martin Luther King

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Life Explained

I'm reminded by one of the actors in the short play posted below that it was made in 1992, rather than 1995 as my initial recollection had it.

That of course speaks volumes about how time messes with memory for some of us. On one level it seems like only yesterday that we gathered in an office space in Portland's Market Square and deigned to become competent performance and video artists with this production.

Pre-YouTube and the explosion of interactive voices worldwide, this was a rough attempt, but it was done, and I'm happy we did it.

In those days anyone with money or good sense would have used film, but I had neither, and since this was my big idea I'll take the blame along with the credit for it showing up on YouTube twenty-years after the fact.

I think the actors did a swell job. Charles Deemer surprised everyone involved by breaking out an improvisation in Russian towards the end of the piece. Posted in Germany at the height of the Cold War, he'd learned Russian at the behest of the U.S. Army and became an intelligence operative, a situation he is sworn to keep secret, unless you read his novella Baumholder 1961.

The VHS cameras of the era were of course vastly inferior to the cameras on the market today, in terms of both video and sound quality.

I'd like to do more of this sort of thing. Round Bend may obtain a camera in the near future, at which point I doubt anything will stop me from venturing once more into video.

It's truly been awhile. We'll see what transpires.


TS

No comments:

Post a Comment