Quote:

“A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual death.”--Martin Luther King

Monday, January 9, 2012

Star Power

I've had a couple of manuscripts under my nose of late and missed a day or two posting here, but suffice to say things are brewing in the Round Bend editorial offices overlooking the parking lot next door to the Unitarian Church in S.W. Portland.

Prime locale, wonderful view.

I'll announce more concerning a few publications that are in the works, but this isn't the right time to go ahead with that.

Instead I'd like to tell you that I've relaxed the past two evenings by taking in Lonesome Dove, the iconic Western written by Larry McMurtry and turned into a made-for-television flick back in 1988.

I watched the entire thing. It was awful, but engaging for the star power of Tommy Lee Jones and Robert Duvall.

Never in the history of filmmaking have two greater actors  had so little to work with.

I can recall wondering what all the fuss was about when the series started. I never bothered to investigate.

Turns out I didn't miss much, but I'm glad I finally saw it.

I'll bet my mother liked it. She liked Westerns to begin with, being a big fan of Zane Grey. I don't remember talking to her about it, but it was her kind of sentimental bullshit.


TS

No comments:

Post a Comment