Quote:

“A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual death.”--Martin Luther King

Monday, October 11, 2010

Patricia Barber

It's all about making discoveries. I started listening to Patricia Barber as I began preparing material for Round Bend Hour #2. What a revelation. I wasn't familiar with this Chicago-based jazz singer, but now that I've played her 1994 Cafe Blue disc a couple of times on the show I find her amazing.

This woman can turn an old, questionably interesting song like "Ode to Billy Joe" on its ear and actually make it sound substantive! What a remarkable achievement!

I played about 20 minutes of Barber yesterday, including the Ode.

She travels the world selling out shows. I'm just catching on.
So it goes.

BTW, she digs girls.


TS

No comments:

Post a Comment