Quote:

“A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual death.”--Martin Luther King

Friday, October 1, 2010

Nike U.

Before it all comes crashing down--and it will crash back to Earth in a resounding explosion of corrupt venality--I plan to enjoy the football success of my university, the University of Oregon, AKA, Nike University. Why? Because it is an entertainment and a release from the dogged anguish of everyday life.

Hey, but it's the only television I watch!

To begin to remotely understand college football today one must first accept the fact that it is big business (all of it, not just Oregon) meaning all its attendant problems of corruption are openly discernible. Those problems, however, are no more absolute or astonishing than the just as common corruption inherent in damn near every other American institution.

It is all fucked, and I don't have the answers. Well, I do, but I can't publish them here.

I don't like banks, but I have an account (for now). That in itself makes me a hypocrite.

I sometimes buy products that I don't actually need and which are harmful to my health (beer and cigs). But I don't buy Nike products, because they are ridiculously overpriced and, frankly, I think slapping logos on any wear other than team uniforms is a joke.

Nike didn't start that trend, by the way. When I played high school football I wore Puma cleats and MacGregor gear.

And I am all too aware that Nike manufactures in the Third World, costing American jobs and exploiting the peoples of other nations.

I spend money (fuck money) on poor and costly prefab food.

I am occasionally intellectually dishonest.

I am a football fan, but more a fan of the institution of higher learning (supposedly) where I met, years ago, some of the most unique individuals I've ever met. I knew it was corrupt when I enrolled.

I'm probably not as radical as I should be, but I believe Bush and Cheney should be jailed, Obama should be impeached, and the U.S. Government should be brought to its knees to beg the forgiveness of millions of unemployed and underemployed workers and their children.

Saturday's final score: Oregon 42-38 in a doozy.

TS

No comments:

Post a Comment