Quote:

“A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual death.”--Martin Luther King

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Mixed Bag


(Left) Chris Pilon

Yesterday was a recovery day. Sunday's Round Bend Hour was a tribute to a friend who passed away in March and, honestly, the job of trying to talk about my friendship with Roger was difficult. Given I've had more trouble finding my "radio voice" than I anticipated before starting this gig, the show was arduous for a couple of reasons.

Still, I think parts of the show went well. I liked my intro for the most part, and my closing comments. In between, I had the usual array of didn't-see-it-coming moments, as when for some reason I'm unqualified to understand, the CD decks (2) in studio stopped playing, inexplicably, after every track. So I had to reset the damnable things after each tune. A hassle, and the first time in five shows that this has happened. And to top it off, I didn't figure out the problem until I was well into the program. Thus, my selection of cello compositions went underplayed as I fiddled about and went automatic with iTunes set to play:

James Brown. Give me a break. The most overrated act in the history of pop music!

I'm afraid the learning curve is sagging somewhat. Oh, well...

One nice occurrence during the show: Chris Pilon, a friend and stormwatcher living in Houston, listened in. He called during the show. Unfortunately I couldn't patch him into the broadcast because we aren't set up in studio to do that just yet. Chris said he was relaxing with a sore back, thinking about the old days with Roger, sipping wine and eating vicodin. Perfect.

It's good to hear CD is wrapping up the feature he's been slaving over for the past couple of months. He plans to show it at the Blackbird Wine Shop in Northeast Portland the evening of November 10.

Follow his blog the next couple of weeks for more info. I'll post something here as well. I have to see the movie before he edits my cameo out, which I know he's planning to do because he can.



TS

No comments:

Post a Comment