Quote:

“A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual death.”--Martin Luther King

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Cooking Mood

I slide in and out of the cooking mood. Often, I simply don't like doing it, probably a hangover from doing it professionally for a number of years and being constantly disappointed in the wretched humanity that defines the restaurant business.

I last owned a crock pot in 2000, and I didn't pack it when I moved hastily one weekend, knowing my days were numbered at the place I'd lived in for 11 years. I didn't have rent money (again) and I didn't feel like talking to anybody about it. I had no way of moving all my furniture out of the place, so I packed my clothing and papers and off I went on a disastrous move to the mid-valley, where I couldn't find work and was eventually tossed from a certain relative's home.

I didn't miss the crock pot, but as I was assembling a few things recently to get my new apartment in order, I found another one and snapped it up.

I'd forgotten the ease and beauty of the crock. Monday, I bought a rump roast and a nice chunk of pork, some carrots, red potatoes, onion, and put my new crock pot to good use. I have some savory, super-tender meats in the fridge now, and I feel like a gourmand again.

It's odd how one cycles in and out of the important things in existence. Consistency has never been one of my hallmarks, I guess. But for now, it is fun to feed myself again.


TS

No comments:

Post a Comment