Quote:

“A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual death.”--Martin Luther King

Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Inaugural Events, I'm Sick


I won't watch them, but not solely because I can't stomach Trump.  I wouldn't have watched a Hillary love fest either, and not simply because I can't stomach her either.

In fact, the last time I paid attention to this foul tradition was when Billary Clinton took office. Naturally enough I can't remember what he said in his inaugural address (and I'm not going to look it up).

What I do remember is listening to the music and practically retching at the bullshit pop of Fleetwood Mac, a band much-loved by many a decade or two earlier.

By the time the Clintons moved into the WH Seattle grunge was taking off, and I remember thinking I'd rather listen to Nirvana.

Or Mudhoney.

I seem to have a memory of Bill and Hill trying to dance as well, or maybe that image was from Billary's second tour, just before the Clintons had to be placed in separate bedrooms in the WH because Billary accepted a blowjob from an intern, who talked about it to a friend, who then leaked the story.

I don't know, all of it is kind of sickening to conjure up again, but I would guess that might have been the power couple's last dance for a while.  Not to say that Hills was unaware of Billary's habits, but you could say this one probably came with a tad more humiliation and rancor.

You might have bet on that, despite the couple's joint appearance in front of the cameras and a news broadcaster playing an auxiliary role at the time as a marriage counselor.

O.K., now that I'm down the page a few paragraphs it has come back to me.  I tuned in to hear more about the national health plan the Clintons wanted to jump start out of the gate.  At the time, I like many thought it might happen.  Come to think of it, that is probably why I voted for Billary in the first place.

Indeed, I can't think of another reason I might have voted for him at all.  At least I voted that year, heh.

Well, the health plan didn't happen because the insurance industry wouldn't have anything to do with it at the time, and Congress was its usual bought and sold regressive bane on good sense.  It wouldn't be until years later that Obama, with a nod to Romney's Mass., state-sponsored health plan, figured out a way to balance all the various interests involved and get something rolling.

But back to Billary.  A lot of little things began to take hold, and I could see what started out with promise was going to turn bad fairly quickly for the Dems.  A little deregulation here and there, war, crime bills, new welfare regs, prison enlargement,etc.

Damn, I'm glad those days are over.

Oh, before I forget.  I'm not about to watch the Inaugural Events because I'm like the great Oregon congressman Rep. Peter DeFazio. Like this gracious govrep, I've never been interested in Washington's pomp and circumstance.


TS

No comments:

Post a Comment