Quote:

“A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual death.”--Martin Luther King

Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Flow

 On my list.

As someone points out in the review section for this book, the title can be misconstrued somewhat.  It has a bit of an unnecessary conspiratorial feel to it.

What I gather the book is about is the inevitability of the negative effects money has on the political process, among other obvious points. There isn't anything conspiratorial about that--rather it is simply the way things sit in the present.

I also gather that the author puts a timeline on the shadiness of things, beginning in the aftermath of WW II and the corresponding rise of the Cold War.

Fine, but that seems somewhat arbitrary.  One could go farther back, as far as the American Revolution, to find strains that fit into his thesis.

At any rate, I'm looking forward to reading the book once I clear some others off my current list, such as this one by Andrew Cockburn.

Tonight's escapism:  Oregon vs. Washington in hoops at 6 p.m.


TS 

No comments:

Post a Comment