Quote:

“A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual death.”--Martin Luther King

Thursday, January 8, 2015

One Year Later

What a difference a year makes.

This is what I wrote December 30, 2013 on the eve of the Alamo Bowl, which Oregon would go on to win while capping a two-loss season that disappointed many delusional Oregon fans.

As many fans petitioned to get rid of first-year coach Mark Helfrich and his able assistants, I grew depressed.  So much nonsense, stupidity and self-righteousness made me angry and I wanted to give up on the college game.

Not because I had lost interest in the game, but because ignorance disappoints me.  Obstinate and irrational people disappoint me.

Now Oregon sits ready to play Ohio State in the first-ever College Football Playoff,  and the town criers have disappeared.

Thank the football gods for small favors--for now.

I have no idea who will win Monday night as the game and Oregon's season finishes up in Arlington, Texas.

But what a great pleasure to not be suffering the loud crowd of armchair experts bashing Helfrich's team at this moment.


TS

No comments:

Post a Comment