Quote:

“A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual death.”--Martin Luther King

Monday, August 5, 2013

Why?

My favorite time every evening is 11 p.m.  I usually turn in around then, and I tune into the BBC on OPB for the morning news from the UK, the ME and Africa.

I love the skepticism of the BBC hosts.  When they report on other regions of the world the edge that I identified in my youth with real journalism magically reappears. After a day of listening to the post-Cold War US menu of propagandized radio, the BBC offers something better.

The terms of the debate are always stretched by the UK reporters, who habitually ask better questions than their American counterparts about policy initiatives and the overall direction of leadership.  And they really go after the reps of African dictators.  Very nice.

One of the five Ws that has fallen out of favor with the American press in a major way is: "Why?"  Unless they're trying to discover why a celebrity was arrested the night before.

(If you don't know what the other four Ws are you don't belong here.)

The US corporate media is rarely capable of asking "Why?" about important issues these days, unfortunately.

When I lay my head on the pillow every evening at 11 p.m., a great sense of calm and satisfaction washes over me.

From across the big pond, a stranger with an important question is speaking to me.  It's like having a lover who really gets it and coos into your ear--"Why are you such an ass?"

A sense of something else punches you out of your dull acceptance of what you are being told, and you are awakened to an otherness.


TS

No comments:

Post a Comment