Quote:

“A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual death.”--Martin Luther King

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Kelly and Dan



I watched and listened to them often at Seafood Mama's in Northwest Portland, circa 1988-1993.  They come out to Portland from Ohio and moved into an apartment next door to mine.  They were just starting out in jazz.  Seafood Mama's was around the corner and had a baby grand piano that the loaded club owner stumbled over one time during a Dave Frishberg set, pissing the piano player off big time.  I don't think Frishberg, who digs baseball, ever played there again after that. I used to go into the club in quiet moments, or after gigs at closing when  Eric Booth was bartending. He let me play the baby grand. I improvised and occasionally made it sound good. Some of the best days and nights, and early mornings, of my life.  The candle was definitely burning at both ends, and I was happy.




TS

No comments:

Post a Comment