Quote:

“A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual death.”--Martin Luther King

Friday, July 19, 2013

Idiot of the Week/Mitch Daniels

I know I've been remiss for nearly a month now by not properly recognizing a notable Idiot of the Week each and every Friday as I recently promised I would.

Please accept my apologies.

I wish I could say this unfortunate circumstance arose because I was unable to locate a worthy idiot since the last time I named one.  But of course you and I know that is not the source of my negligence. The world is teeming with idiots, many of them in high places. They are the varietals this blog favors.   All one must do is pick one, for the world is ripe with idiocy.

Importantly, America has its fair share of idiots, the sort I prefer to laud.  I deem Americans most worthy of my special award because I am an American, and the Idiot of the Week Award is a uniquely American prize.

Go with what you know, as the old adage says.

The truth is I've been lazy of late.

But I have had an awakening!

I have found a subject so worthy of the award this week that I would not be merely remiss to not name him; I would be criminal, as low as the lowest Floridian sitting in judgment of Trayvon Martin, who was murdered many months ago and was recently found guilty of "getting what he deserved" in a segment of the court of US public opinion--which stretches from sea to shining sea in our great nation.

Now, I beg your pardon, I am not saying George Zimmerman is an idiot or guilty, though he clearly is an idiot--and guilty.  To give George the Idiot of the Week Award would be cynical, an easy ruse, not to mention belated and biased against whatever it is that passes for justice in Florida these days.

But back to the topic at hand:  This week's Idiot of the Week Award goes to a man who, as far as we know, hasn't stalked and blown away an unarmed black kid.  However, that doesn't absolve Mitch Daniels of suspicion.

We don't know if he has robbed and thieved any more than what is permissible by the more-than-fair standards of US jurisprudence, nor do we really know whether he is a thug; but that doesn't mean he hasn't robbed and thieved or isn't a thug--all we have are perceptions, after all, and you may disagree with mine.

All we really know is that he is a so-called leader, one of a type who, given what we know about history (which is more than Mitch), has occasionally exhibited a style steeped in fascist tendencies.

Again, bear in mind that I am not saying Mitch has fascist tendencies. But like you, I have my suspicions, which as we all know after Florida, count for something.  Also consider this--would we be living in a Surveillance State if suspicion was not warranted?

All we can safely and righteously assume is that Mitch is an idiot, in other words. All I can do is give him the coveted award.

The late historian Howard Zinn ruffled a lot of feathers during his long career, and evidently none more thoroughly than those of Mitch Daniels, the current president of Purdue University and one-time governor of Indiana.

We now understand that when Mitch was governor he mailed some unsavory emails to his underlings while mentally stalking Howard Zinn and that he was much relieved when the old radical passed on.

I ask in all earnestness, should such a man lead a major US university?

Umm... No.

Mitch, you are guilty of idiocy, and thus highly deserving of this week's Idiot of the Week Award from Round Bend Press.

Congratulations.


TS

No comments:

Post a Comment