Quote:

“A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual death.”--Martin Luther King

Sunday, July 28, 2013

Another


Do we need another book about Hemingway?

I must admit I like the potential in this one. Sounds like the in-depth annotations of the novels and stories might be of assistance to a reader like myself.  For me, Hemingway's non-fiction always rang truest.

Though I admired his first novel and was in great awe of "The Old Man and the Sea" and many of the short stories, I had trouble with some of the bulkier fiction.

For me the best Hemingway was "Death in the Afternoon" and "A Moveable Feast," along with his collected war correspondence.

It may be time to revisit Papa in the pages of this book.  Maybe it'll spur me to finally read "For Whom the Bell Tolls."


TS

No comments:

Post a Comment