Quote:

“A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual death.”--Martin Luther King

Thursday, July 4, 2013

Happy 4th!

I had a friend during my work/party days in the restaurant business who always wore a favorite shirt on the 4th of July.

Cut tightly around her supple breasts and lovely waist, her flag-embossed shirt convincingly announced her allegiance to the good old USA.

"My favorite holiday," she exclaimed, knocking another one back in celebration.

"My favorite shirt," I said, lifting a brow. I liked her laughter. I liked the way she ate her hot dog.

While it was not meant to be between us, I always admired this Boston-born babe.  I'd known people before her who wrapped themselves in the red, white and blue on the 4th, but rarely with such revolutionary zeal--or irony.

For in many ways, she was a rebel in love with an ideal.

Or so I wanted to believe.  Wasn't the American Revolution still a living, breathing thing?  Something to cherish, but also something to watch carefully in perpetuity, something to preserve as more than the simple-minded jingoistic refrain heard all too often in every stratum of our society--USA, USA, USA!

This is something to think about in our age of overwhelming surveillance and "preventive" war and, dare I say, seeming constitutional illegality.  It's something to think about on this day.

Like my old friend, democracy is not easy.

Like her, it might slip away.

Perhaps it already has.


TS 

No comments:

Post a Comment