Quote:

“A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual death.”--Martin Luther King

Friday, July 12, 2013

Choices

I'm looking forward to my trip to Idaho next week. It's been awhile since I last traveled. Four summers ago to be exact.

That summer I took the train to St. Cloud, Minnesota to see my grandson for the first time. Despite the difficulties I had sleeping on the train, I had a great time. I would take the same train I took then--the Empire Builder--to Sandpoint next week, except I have to make this trip on the cheap.

I'm going rideshare, provided one of the two people I've been in contact with comes through as planned.  I exchanged emails with Lauren a couple of days ago. She is headed to Spokane from Eugene on Monday morning. Says she could stop in Portland and pick me up. She'll call me Sunday to discuss things.

Earlier today a second option arose.  A retired fellow from Vancouver, just across the Columbia from Portland, called and said he recently purchased a new truck and wants to give it a road test. A bright blue Avalanche, he said, and of course he loves it.  He mentioned he's disabled, which I could have guessed from our conversation.  He spoke shakily, but seemed very nice and sincere.  The first thing I thought of is that he might be a stroke victim.  I didn't inquire further, but agreed to meet him on Sunday for coffee to discuss a potential ride.  This guy was likable over the phone.  He asked me if I was a good driver, a good sign.

I'll make an assessment of Gerald when I meet him, but my second impression is that he is lonely. I have a third impression of Gerald as well, which I won't get into.  Suffice to say that prior to reading my rideshare post he clearly had no plans to go to Sandpoint.

The advantages in this possibility are clear.  He wants me to do part of the driving (I would prefer to do it all), he is cautious, and I could conveniently get all the way to Sandpoint.

Gerald, please don't be too weird.  When I see that Avalanche and think about riding in comfort, I'll be tempted.

The train?  I loved the train, particularly when it passed through the Continental Divide and edged Glacier National Park in Montana.  It is beautiful out there.


TS

No comments:

Post a Comment