Quote:

“A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual death.”--Martin Luther King

Monday, July 1, 2013

Dog Days of ... July?


I think the heat is finally taking a toll on me.

I stayed cool over the weekend, but the warm, stale air is now accumulating in my apartment, and the ceiling fan isn't helping much.

I look out in the courtyard where the building's interior apartments have windows and see that several of my neighbors have air conditioners.

O wise folks...

Given the typical few summer days air conditioning is needed in Portland, I've always neglected to invest in a unit.  This might be the first summer I regret not having one.

Earlier today I escaped to the Park Blocks and sat in the shade, but how long can one do that without going insane?

Even at that the shade wasn't much help.

I can remember, as a young man, working outside at back-breaking jobs in this sort of heat.  It never fazed me; in fact, I sort of relished it, an opportunity to show off my machismo, I guess.

I've changed.  I've grown soft.

I've grown old.


TS

No comments:

Post a Comment