Quote:

“A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual death.”--Martin Luther King

Saturday, July 21, 2012

R.I.P. Alexander Cockburn

Just discovered that Alexander Cockburn, founder with Jeffrey St. Clair of CounterPunch, has passed at age 71.

I read AC's first book, a study of world chess champions, decades ago and remained a dedicated reader of his work.

As the U.S. prepared to attack Iraq in 2003 for reasons he and others knew were bullshit I discovered his online magazine, CounterPunch.

It is a rare day that I do not read all or parts of that website.  Such is how I discovered moments ago that Mr. Cockburn had passed in Germany yesterday.

Few knew how sick he had become in recent months.

Alexander Cockburn was a brilliant radical who hoped for and espoused world peace by calling out the war instigators and profiteers.

R.I.P.


TS

No comments:

Post a Comment