Quote:

“A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual death.”--Martin Luther King

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Family News

In response to a question my daughter sent me the other day about my religious background:

Made to go to Sunday schools and religious camps as a child with Lutherans and Mennonites at various times.  The Mennos were a bit too cultist for my tastes.  Sort of an odd bunch.  

I think my forced religious education was just a way for Icie (my mother) to get me out of her hair on occasion.  She was pretty tired of kids by the time I came around, as you might imagine.  Same reason I was usually shipped off to a brother or sister's house in the summer once I grew old enough to go alone.

Not much of what I learned stuck with me, and I'm not particularly sad that it didn't.  Religion is not my thing.

Ironically, it became Icie's thing when I was a teen.  She became a Seventh Day Adventist.  Which was cool.  I had the house to myself often times on Saturdays while she went to church with Dick Terry's (my brother-in-law) mom and step-dad.

Linda (my daughter's mother) has the Mexican side; as you know Mexicans are deep Catholics in general, as indeed the Spanish/Mediterranean  influence hasn't completely worn away among Hispanics in general.

I find Catholicism to be quite absurd; if I were forced to pick one now I'd take the Unitarians.  Nice liberal bunch who don't take themselves too seriously.

Okay?

Take care of that Big D (my grandson) guy for me and tell him Gramps says hello.

Love,
Pops


TS

No comments:

Post a Comment