Quote:

“A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual death.”--Martin Luther King

Sunday, June 24, 2012

Portland Kicks Seattle's Butt Up and Down Jeld-Wen's Artificial Turf!

I went out today to soak up a little of the soccer mania that has recently enveloped Portland.  Frankly, I was disappointed.  I expected to see more hot babes in the soccer bar where I watched Italy and England in the Euro Cup quarterfinals.

Maybe the hot babes understand when something is over-billed and out of touch.  The Euro was the prelim today on ESPN, and Italy beat England in a shootout after a full regulation game and thirty extra minutes of sudden death overtime led to my comatose acceptance of nothingness.

The American Major Soccer League match between Portland and Seattle followed.

Hey, I'm just a piker, but even I can see how much faster the national teams of Europe play than our lowly Timbers and Sounders.

Yet the I-5 challenge, or whatever it is called, was the more entertaining game.  I mean, goals were scored in ways other than in the idiotic shootout method.

If I were in charge, I'd make them play until one team quit or dropped dead of exhaustion, which England was close to doing from about 85 min. on.

Soccer's major disadvantage as a spectator sport is that players can't use their hands to catch the damn ball and run it into the goal.

Jesus, just let them do that and the game would be instantly more enticing.

Anyway, Portland beat Seattle 2-1, and the natives are happy here tonight.  I'm glad I'm safely barricaded in my apartment for the evening.

The hooligans have the streets.


TS

No comments:

Post a Comment