Quote:

“A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual death.”--Martin Luther King

Monday, June 11, 2012

Good Weekend

Not a bad weekend.

I met with a PA/photographer who is anxious to go out to the strawberry fields with my DP and I and help compose a few shots for the "project."

That's the film I'm working on now, in case you didn't know.

I'd like to get the shots next weekend, provided all the pieces come together concerning the weather, crew, and talent.  I'm looking forward to it.

I read a new novella by Round Bend contributor K.C. Bacon over the weekend, and I have no doubt it is among the best things this writer/painter has done since we've been associated in this ongoing experiment called RBP.

It is a very fine piece of work, and hopefully you'll get to see it soon, depending on how the scheduling goes for some of Bacon's other, earlier work.  His first three books with RBP were volumes of poetry and aphorisms.  Now he is going all out on this series of novellas, and the results are inspiring.

I was looking forward to going out to Minnesota to visit family in July.  Now it looks like that may be on hold for a while.  I'm a little disappointed, but hell, what can you do when the logistics don't work optimally?

Tonight my Oregon Ducks take on Kent State in game three of their Super Regional playoff, with the winner advancing to the College World Series in Omaha next week.

I listened to the end of last night's second game as Oregon's two top closers manged to strike out the side in the bottom of the ninth to preserve a 3-2 victory, after a lead-off double put the tying runner on.  The Ducks dropped game one 7-6 after a furious late rally fell short.

They rallied last night as well, scoring all three of their runs in the seventh.

Oregon plays "small ball," which means they bunt and run like fools because they have no power.  I don't care much for small ball, but they're my Ducks, so I'll let it be.

You can't argue with their success and the brilliance of their head coach, George Horton, who has won the CWS before with Cal State-Fullerton.

It would be fun to see Oregon win it, but I don't think they can for the very reason I alluded to above.  They don't hit well enough.

I was excited when Oregon State won back-to-back titles a few years ago.  What would I be like if Oregon, my alma mater, won?

I'd be very pleased.


TS

No comments:

Post a Comment