Quote:

“A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual death.”--Martin Luther King

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Soon Enough

Franzen's fifth novel is an existential screwball comedy on an epic scale. It has the whole world on its mind – or, rather, two whole worlds: the physical and the virtual.

This one sounds interesting.  Some of the post-postmodernists (or whatever category you slot JF) give me a hard time, much like Joyce did with Ulysses.

I've quit on Pynchon before, I'll confess.  And others.

I usually end up going back to read some Bukowski or Vonnegut, or something as equally simple and openly funny.  But I'll have to at least give this one a chance down the road.


TS  

No comments:

Post a Comment