Quote:

“A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual death.”--Martin Luther King

Friday, August 7, 2015

Golden Boys














Call it "tradition."

While a student at Oregon, I made sure not to miss a college football game in the early '70s (even at the expense of not studying on Saturday for a Monday quiz).  Since then, I've always followed the careers of ex-Ducks in the NFL.

Since then I've watched the stars come and go, never up close like I did in my college years.  I'm not a booster in that sense, don't give money for access.  I don't call the coach at home in the middle of the night and bitch about the play-calling or the losing streak.

But I follow the players' post-Oregon careers.

I'm looking forward to watching Mariota try to make his mark in the league this year, just as I have in the past with Fouts, Miller, Akili Smith, Kellen Clemens, Joey Harrington, etc.

None of the others won the Heisman like Mariota, though Fouts is in the pro Hall of Fame.  The others didn't have a lot of success, though Clemens has been in the league for a decade.

Be interesting to see what happens.


TS

No comments:

Post a Comment