Quote:

“A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual death.”--Martin Luther King

Saturday, March 21, 2015

Roger's Final Poem, Mailed to RBP Mere Days Before His Passing
















Untitled/The Last Poem of Roger Blakely III/March 2010

I've been having those feelings
that life was better with music, mystery,
empty bottles, and early morning
poetry festivals from the bottom
of the drunk tank floor.

I do reserve the right to be lost at any time.
So that I never need to be frightened,
I carry at all times
on my person
a small unseaworthy sailboat,
vast uncharted waters,
the prayers of past generations,
and a category five hurricane.

I tell you, I miss the late night air.


To the memory of Roger Blakely III, from "Nightscape in Empire & The Talent Poems."


TS

No comments:

Post a Comment