Quote:

“A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual death.”--Martin Luther King

Sunday, March 8, 2015

Next

I'm gonna take my sweet time with my next project, a revised edition of my historical essays, "Alt-Everything."

The book, like everything I've done, is pretty ragged in places--in need of both rewriting and editing--alternative writing, you might say.

I've published a lot of stuff just to get it out there, because if I don't do at least that much I tend to let the entire project slide--sometimes right out of consciousness.  Terrible admission, I know.

My latest fiasco is with my newest collection of poems, wherein I dropped the period ending the second stanza of a poem and then featured it on the back cover, a glaring omission that I'll blame on my deteriorating eyesight.  Heh... I've fixed the error and a few things inside the book that I overlooked in my haste to finish it.

Well, stuff is never done I imagine.  I'm not too worried about the content of the new work--it is what it is, and it's likely not for everyone, but the little errors annoy me because I'd like to present something that at least has the appearance of being competent in its physical properties, if not as a work of art.

I always say I'm better at editing others' work than my own; I think everyone is like that.

If some of the poems don't work, that is one thing.  If one doesn't work because of lazy or unclear punctuation and spelling, that is something else.  That particular poem shortchanges itself from the get-go.

So I would say to anyone who has read the book and noticed these annoying items, please be aware that I've found some of the things that may have you ready to toss the book away--but probably not all.

Well, I know you wouldn't do that because you're big fans of mine. So just know that I'm aware of how things are.


TS

No comments:

Post a Comment