Quote:

“A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual death.”--Martin Luther King

Monday, November 10, 2014

Old TV


I've been enjoying the heck out of the fourth season of "Boardwalk Empire," which I plucked out of the library after a two-month wait.

I've noticed some of the same writers and directors who shaped "The Wire" and "Treme" have contributed to this extremely creative series.

Steve Buscemi as ganster Nucky Thompson shines, as does the rest of the cast, with the possible exception of "The Wire" stalwart Michael Kenneth Williams, who seems out of place here.

Also trying "Homeland," but finding it a tough go.  Too much plot contrivance and cheap artifice for my taste. Not believable, and it doesn't work as fantasy very well either. "Boardwalk Empire" strives for an historical perspective of Prohibition, and while some of what comes out is of questionable authenticity, it captures an imagined past to a large degree and embraces the plausible.

I'm not sure what "Homeland" is attempting to do, but it hasn't bitten me yet.  I might give it a few more chances, but I'm running out of patience.


TS

No comments:

Post a Comment