Quote:

“A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual death.”--Martin Luther King

Sunday, November 16, 2014

Man O Man, It's Good

Yes sir, I made some soup last night that reminded me of the expertise I gathered in a dozen kitchens over the years.

I'm a little rusty these days, but I can do it if I bear down.

I was known for my good soup in the old neighborhood, where I worked for 16 years in the restaurant trade.

No less a luminary than Bob Costas praised my soup once in a neighborhood joint where I was working during the NBA Finals back in the Trail Blazers, Clyde Drexler glory years.

Called me to his table and said, I quote, "That is the best vegetable beef soup I've ever eaten."

I swear.

Another time, Oregon football coach Rich Brooks stopped by the service window in the same joint and praised the meal he'd just eaten, telling me the soup was especially good.

Last night I made a pot of an old standby, Cream of Broccoli and Mushroom.  Shopping for ingredients, I was unaware of the current price of heavy cream because I never cook with it these days, so I went cheap and used half & half.

This batch wasn't celebrity-worthy, but it was still very good.

Not great, mind you, but man o man...


TS

No comments:

Post a Comment