Quote:

“A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual death.”--Martin Luther King

Sunday, November 28, 2010

Not Quite There

I hate bandwagon fans.

I watched the Oregon/Arizona game in a local pub Friday evening and an idiot sat down beside me. He wanted to talk a little football, evidently.

He told me his kids attended Oregon, so he's a big Duck fan. He asked me if I thought Oregon could win the National Championship.

I gave my standard answer with the usual bushel of caveats. "Well, there's Auburn, and TCU and Boise State(at the time), and you know, it's difficult to say. But I hope so."

"So, who does Oregon play after this," the guy said, and I thought he was joking.

"Funny guy," I said.

"Well, who do they play next? I just follow Oregon. I don't follow any other teams. Which teams do you follow?"

"I follow football, college football; it's bigger than just Oregon."

"I'm not interested in anybody except Oregon. My kids went there. They love Oregon. So, who's your team?"

"That would be Oregon."

"Well, my kids...."

"Yes, your kids attended Oregon."

"They're big fans."

"Smart kids."

"So, who does Oregon play next?"

"That would be Oregon State."

"Are they any good?"

"I don't know. I don't think anyone knows."

"I just follow Oregon. I'm not interested in Oregon State. Are they a good team?"

"Well, they're not Auburn."

"Auburn?"

"Yes, the second ranked team in the BCS. You know?"

"No, I just follow the Ducks."

"Well, there is more to the game than just the Ducks."

An uncomfortable silence followed as I sipped my beer and tried to listen to the pregame chatter coming from the television over the bar.

"So, who is Oregon playing tonight?" my drinking buddy asked.

"I don't know. I just follow Oregon," I said, and moved to another bar stool.

(In this guy's defense, he may have been thinking more like the Ducks' players than an actual fan. The players seem to have one track minds just like his.)

TS

No comments:

Post a Comment