Quote:

“A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual death.”--Martin Luther King

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Frog

KC Bacon and I have a meeting set for tomorrow to discuss and further shape the Round Bend Press edition of some of the Tacoma artist's latest lyrics.

The thirty-odd poems in the volume--with the likely title Morandi's Bottles--represents RBP's second foray into publishing work outside my own oeuvre.

Last month KC helped RBP bring forth Cold Eye: A Generation of Voices, poems and interviews I first published in 1978 while editing a literary tabloid in Northwest Portland.

I might add that KC and I are proud of Cold Eye; we hope our pride is justified. We think the child has college potential, if not star quality.

Morandi's Bottles contributes to a tradition-rich school of painter/poet offerings. Artists as diverse as William Blake, Charles Bukowski, Kenneth Patchen and Frank O'Hara, to name a few, made visual art, music and poetry integral parts of their artistic visions.

The inseparability of the disciplines is an underlying theme in KC's new collection, though there is much more to it than that.

Here KC looks at the world through the eyes of a prehistoric "beast:"


FROG


A cuisine of dragonflies
Hover

Near the cattails
Where I stink of beast

And haul my hungry wart
From lily to lily.


KC Bacon

I'll blog our publishing date, of course, so stay tuned.


TS

No comments:

Post a Comment