Quote:

“A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual death.”--Martin Luther King

Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Medicare


My dear old mom, born in 1908 and educated through the 5th grade, lived to be 90 with the advantage of Medicare.

There is no way in hell that would have happened otherwise.  Here's another little detail.  She worked hard her whole life, first raising eight children, then picking crops in the fields surrounding my home town, where I joined her as a boy and made money for our household.

Her husband, my father, died young.  She did not find another to take care of her.  She took care of herself, and me, the last of the brood.

We made more money for the capitalist farmer.  My older siblings made money for yet other bosses. You learned soon enough that not everyone could be the boss.

We spend too much time in this country ragging each other for not being "the boss," unable to pull ourselves up by the bootstraps.

When my mother was 85, I visited her in the nursing home where she spent her final years.  She needed a wheelchair and oxygen, but man she was serene.  I pushed her around the streets adjacent to the home.  When she insisted on looking at the flowers, I stopped.  She smelled them, encouraged me to do the same.  They smelled good.

You wanna know what she loved?  Her children.  Her grandchildren. Her great-grandchildren.  Pretty simple really, she got to see a lot.

Unless you're a sorry-ass who thinks people should not have the opportunity to live as long as they desire and are capable of on this planet, there is no excuse for not taking care of our countrymen across the board--cradle to grave.

What else is of more value than the care of our people?

Of course, marketing death is big in this country we already know. But think about it.

Expand, do not contract.


TS 

No comments:

Post a Comment